Monday, February 7, 2011

The Realities of Spiritual Warfare - Part Deux

I have a killer crazy busy week or two coming up... I will be a full-time working downtowm mom on a temporary legal project. This should bring in some good money which I have been praying for to show DH that I am serious about wiping out a few pesky debts so we can pursue adoption....

that was the great blessing of the last week.

I will even add to that the blessing of being able to put together family care for my little ones at home (almost-2 yo girl and 4 yo boy) while "heigh-ho heigh-ho, its off to work I go" for about 2 weeks.

But now, let me get to the little traumas of the last two weeks that "you-know-who" keeps throwing out in order to cause my hubby to fear and worry (and for me to just be incredibly annoyed).....

1) heater on hot tub breaks completely unexpectedly (just put a new one in less than 3 years ago).... we have to fix because leaving cold water to freeze up in a hot tub during the Chicago winter is not a good thing...

2) pipe breaks in our laundry room causing flood in laundry room and sending WATERFALLS cascading through the basement celing, necessitating emergency plumber visit, can you say "KA-CHING"?????

3) dryer stops working...in the middle of Friday mega-loads of laundry (after the flood we used every bath towel in our house)....internal switch had shorted out....another repair bill...

4) my 11 yo daughter got an orthodontic device placed on Tuesday afternoon that on Wednesday morning (when we were snowed in by 20+ inches) caused her mouth to become STUCK OPEN SO WIDE that she began to choke and vomit uncontrollably and could not breathe...after a minute or so of incredible panic, the appliance broke and she was OK.... we are going to the ortho Wednesday, 'nuff said....

5) on Saturday, right before probably the busiest work week I have had in over 5 years, our microwave CAUGHT ON FIRE!!!! Something caused a hole in the internal wall and SPARKS and FLAMES preceded the total shut-down of the incredibly expensive microwave/convection oven combo we just put in during our kitchen remodel in June! Repair guy coming Monday to see if repairable/covered by warranty (it had better be)! But I have no microwave the week I will be leaving teenagers home to get afternoon snacks ready and start dinner...

My husband is seriously crazed, any one of these would cause him to lose sleep, the combination is close to doing him in....

We went out to a fun "trivia night" fundraiser with some friends on Saturday...just as we arrive our second son texts that the baby just "threw up gyros and fries all over"....

*sigh*

She ended up being OK so we did stay, I got to confide in a friend about my desire and conviction to adopt a special needs child...she and her husband (both over 50)  just adopted 3 small children from Ethiopia to join the 2 bio boys (in their 20's) and their daughter who came from China (who is now 16).

Just when I was ready to throw in the towel...ready to say that "maybe I have enough on my plate and God wants me to just make hubby and children happy"...ready to fall prey to despair and worry....she told me -

"I can so see you adopting. You would be wonderful for those children. In fact, you should get 2!!"

I love P. She is just the most optimistic, energetic and loving woman!!

We are going to try and get together and and let her hubby "rub off " a bit on mine. He is a logical engineer (my hubby's type exactly) and tends to over-plan and worry himself but when he saw the poverty in Africa first hand on a mission trip they did two years ago he said,

"Retirement is overrated. Let's get some more kids."

So I soldier on....in the silence...waiting on the Lord and hoping a precious child from thousands of miles away becomes the next best thing I get to worry about.......

1 comment: