Monday, January 24, 2011

What Scripture Passage Helped You Through A Rough Patch

I promised Abigail a post on the above subject. I kept trying to find the proper erudite words to explain the depth and weight of several scripture passages which have served as "touchstones" in my life.

My bible from my Confirmation has many passages highlighted in neon yellow or outlined in red. I browsed through them, looking for the right one to inspire a post. And while they are all good and valuable and truly the words of Jesus, they were not THE passage.

THE passage was one I have said to myself over and over for the last 7 years....

"Fear is useless; what is needed is trust."(Luke 8:50, Mark 5:36)

I think this one sums up the Christian life; MY Christian life.

I can picture Jesus whispering it to me when I am making to-do lists and plans and machinations and freaking out about any one of the twenty things I do on an hourly basis.

In the midst of chaos and in the silence of a dark quiet house at 2 am, He tells me again and again.

"It is useless to rely on yourself. So many material things are useless. Trust matters. Love matters. Cast aside your fears and come to me, trust that I am all you need."

Thank you Lord for the constant reminder.

2 comments:

  1. Love these!

    The verse which always comes to mind for me (and is short, so I can memorize it!) is:

    Perfect love casts out fear.

    I like to remember that, in order to have courage!

    Thanks for all your fantastic comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly welcome Leila!

    Lovely pic of you and Jen from Conversion Diary...a brunch with the lovely Catholic blogger ladies would be heavenly!

    And you have such a gift to write so clearly and pointedly, while still being respectful and charitable! As a former attorney I really appreciate how difficult this can be... you have an amazing talent from the Holy Spirit! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete